Every couple wishes to become parents. Starting a family might bring a significant change in your life. However, if you continue to try to conceive and are unsuccessful, you should seek treatment from an infertility specialist.
In this article, Dr. Nisarg Patel, a renowned infertility specialist from Nisha IVF hospital in Ahmedabad, talks about IUI treatment.
What is IUI?
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a reproductive procedure in which sperm is implanted directly into a woman’s uterus. During IUI treatment, sperm is collected, washed, and concentrated before being inserted into the uterus; at the same time when your ovary releases one or more eggs to be fertilized.
The treatment is performed with the expectation that the sperm may enter the fallopian tube and fertilize the waiting egg, resulting in pregnancy.
Dr. Nisarg Patel is an infertility specialist at Nisha IVF hospital in Ahmedabad. It is a hospital that provides a variety of treatments for infertility.
Who is it useful for?
The main reason people go for fertility treatment like IUI is infertility problems. According to Dr. Nisarg Patel from Nisha IVF hospital in Ahmedabad, the following are some more reasons that go for people IUI treatment:
This is the most common issue while performing IUI treatment. IUI is generally the first treatment that is tried in such cases.
You want to use donor sperm
If you’re going to use donor sperm as a single mother or a couple who wants to use donor sperm because of fertility issues, you can use IUI. These donor sperm generally come from certified labs.
Ovulatory Factor Infertility
Infertility in women can arise from ovulation disorders such as a lack of ovulation or a decreased quantity of eggs.
Low sperm count
If you or your partner’s sperm count is low, or sperm is weak, minor, or slow, you can use IUI treatment. Here, the sperm that are selected and used are of high quality.
Some women are allergic to the sperm of their partners. These allergies can be caused by proteins found in sperm. During IUI, the allergy-causing proteins are eliminated from the sperm. It produces vaginal stinging, redness, and edema.
According to Dr. Nisarg, the following are the steps your infertility specialist will take before starting the IUI procedure:
- You and your partner would get a thorough examination, including blood tests, analyzing the sperm, ultrasound, and other diagnostic treatments.
- The infertility specialist can also give you oral or injectable medications for 5 days to 2 weeks.
- This increases your chance of ovulation and releasing multiple eggs at a time. Not everyone needs these medications.
During the Procedure
- First, the sperm will be collected. This sperm will be washed and checked for speed and motility.
- Once that is done, the remaining sperm are a sample of a good amount of motile and normal sperms suspended in a nutrient medium.
- Sperm insemination during ovulation aids in successful conception. The doctor then puts the sperm into the catheter and implants it straight into the uterus during ovulation. This is a painless procedure.
- This insertion of sperm near the egg will increase the possibility of fertilization.
- You can take a pregnancy test 2 weeks after the procedure.
The whole process takes about 28 days or 4 weeks to complete. This treatment is available at Nisha IVF hospital in Ahmedabad.
The following are the advantages of the IUI procedure:
- Because IUI does not need the extraction of a woman’s eggs from her uterus, the risks are minimal.
- IUI does not require an anesthetic, so there are no problems during or after the procedure.
- It may cure many infertility disorders such as unexplained infertility, male factor, erectile dysfunction, etc.
- IUI is advantageous for those who wish to use donated eggs.
IUI has lesser risks than other fertility treatments like IVF, says Dr. Nisarg. These risks involve:
- You may release more than one egg because of fertility medications, which can increase your chances of multiple births.
- You may experience minor cramping during the treatment.
- Infections can happen, but they are very rare.
- There might be some spotting after the treatment, which is vaginal bleeding.
Success Rate of IUI
The success rate of IUI is 12% to 20% on average, says Dr. Nisarg. It can depend upon the factors that are not in the control of an infertility specialist. This can include a woman’s age. If you are above 35, you will be advised to go for IVF.
IUI has less success rate than IVF. If the IUI procedure does not work, you can opt for IVF or ICSI treatment.
Cost of IUI
The cost of IUI in India varies from city to city and clinic to clinic, says Dr. Nisarg from Nisha IVF hospital in Ahmedabad.
The cost of IUI in India ranges between Rs. 6000 to Rs. 40000.
A variety of factors could cause infertility. We are unable to discover the reason on our own. It is essential to seek proper treatment for infertility and listen to your IVF specialist.
IUI can benefit you if it is successful and can help you fulfill your dream of having a family.
You can visit Dr. Nisarg Patel from Nisha IVF hospital in Ahmedabad for further information and treatment.