FTTR, also known as Fiber To The Room, is the ultimate solution to gradually upgrade from FTTB and FTTH solutions（https://hello-signal.com/ftth-fttx/）. FTTR’s principle is to use indoor optical fiber instead of existing network cables, and make use of fiber optic transmission bandwidth, no signal attenuation, and strong anti-interference capability, to break through the original network speed bottleneck.
At the same time, deploy optical cat routing machine (WiFi6) in the room, so a stable “gigabit network” can be sent to every corner of each room.
FTTR solution is actually FTTH + MESH. Because even if you give each room a fiber, the network can not be used directly, you must add ONT to convert the fiber into common RJ-45 (wired network port) and WiFi.
Who needs FTTR?
Common problems with home-use internet
Apply for hundreds of megabytes of broadband, but still lagging at home when playing games, watching live streaming or online classes
Try to use your phone in the toilet or kitchen, and find that the WiFi signal is too weak.
Reasons for these problems
Many households deploy only one wireless router, resulting in uneven WiFi signal coverage in the home
Lots of homes are still using ONT or routers that only support 100 megabit or 2.4G single-band, with low WiFi rates.
There are also more users still using Category 5 network cable, or crystal head into the end of only 4 lines and other unqualified network cables.
For now, we are using FTTH solution with twisted pair cable indoors. In order to completely solve the problems of insufficient WiFi coverage, weak WiFi performance and network cable limitation, the FTTR solution was born.
Product components of FTTR
- Primary ONT: New type of home ONT device. Its network location is between the OLT Optical Line Terminal（https://hello-signal.com/onu-olt/gpon-olt/）and ONT, and it connects to the OLT upward through XGPON or 10G EPON, supporting Gigabit into the home. It provides fiber optic interface (equipped with network cable interface) downward to connect from ONT. In areas where XGPON or 10G EPON is not available, it can be temporarily configured for Ethernet uplink access.
- Edge ONT: Home distributed WiFi access device. It distributes to each room and information point in the home, connecting primary ONT upward through home fiber (equipped with network cable interface), and provides WiFi6 and GE port downward to access Internet terminals.
In addition to the traditional wifi5 routing features and the availability of traditional 2.4G/5GWIFI bands, Wi-Fi6 also has an independent Wi-Fi6 exclusive WIFI band, which will not be interfered with by other bands, has a lower power consumption, more power saving, wider coverage, lower radiation, higher transmission speed and other features.
- All smart home devices in the whole house access different WIFI bands according to their needs, so that the WIFI network is not blocked and the optimal experience is achieved.
Home optical network assembly: A home optical network infrastructure consisting of fiber optic cables, splitters, fiber optic panels and distributed fiber optic interfaces, which are deployed using specialized tools and accessories.
FTTR vs wired backhaul MESH solution
Components: When the primary ONT in FTTR is replaced with a master route, the splitter with a switch, the slave optical cat with a subroutine, and the fiber with an ordinary network cable, it is a wired backhaul MESH. Thus, FTTR is equivalent to a wired backhaul MESH, and like MESH, it is a solution for poor signal in a certain room. It is a good service for those who are new to decoration or have inferior hands-on skills.
Different needs: if you have a small house, where the main route can guarantee a good signal in every room, then it is not necessary to use FTTR solutions.
Another advantage of FTTR over wired backhaul MESH is IPTV. If you like to watch live TV content, it’s more of a hassle to connect your room’s TV to an IPTV set-top box.
FTTR (Fiber to The Room) technical features
FTTR means using optical fiber instead of network cable, laying optical fiber in each room and interconnecting with home gateway by deploying optical networking terminal. And combine dual-band WiFi, WiFi6 and other technologies to ensure whole-house network coverage networking technology.
Based on FTTR technology, the home gigabit all-optical networking solution deploys the primary ONT as the core in the home wiring box or at the center of the home, using the P2MP/P2P approach, based on splitters and single-core bi-directional fiber, to build a home fiber network.
The FTTR network device consists of five types of equipment: primary ONT, edge ONT, splitter, fiber, and fiber panel. primary ONT and edge ONT are all-in-one units with WiFi6 routing functions.
Advantages of home FTTR network fiber compared to network cable
- More eco-friendly-sand as raw material, sustainable and renewable
- More trouble-free – 1 time installation, 30 years of use
- Fast speed – support 10 Gigabit network
- More aesthetic – thin and transparent, neat alignment, does not affect other decorations
- High performance-high stability, strong anti-interference, low time delay