Children love to do things that are interesting, motivating, and fun. What if you include a high interest, motivation, and fun in their learning process? This will surely decrease their struggle to learn and spell the words as they will be more attentive. Following a great learning process is necessary, especially for those children who consistently fail in their random spelling tests.
Even though making kids perfect in learning and speaking the correct word is the responsibility of the schools. But a parent supporting their kids to master this skill is appraisable as the actual learning happens when kids are at home and practice speaking words along with their fun and play at home.
Helping your kids memorize vocabulary with different methods is a vital aspect of every parent’s life.
In most cases, children begin learning English spelling vocabulary and rules in the first or second grade, even while learning to read and write. And if they spell incorrectly, it is not a warning of a child’s intelligence. Below are a few tips which tell you how to memorize vocabulary?
Ideas to help your kids learn to spell
- Play interactive games to practice: Trying playing games with your kids that are study-based. You can play games like alphabet balls, spelling bee games, clap the vowels, crosswords puzzles, etc. Winning these games against their friends or siblings will always motivate them to spell the words accurately. Conveying answers will also impose both written and spoken reactions.
- Educate children to understand chunks in words: Chunks are pairs of one or two-letter together that generally make the same sound (e.g., Sh, Ch, At, Ate). Help your child write and practice different words that include the same chunks to establish a sense of words. Add fun and attractive ways to educate about good chunks and spelling, let your lovely kids practice with the spelling bee game.
- Educate children to review their written words: Push children to edit their work and revise words spelling five to ten times if they found any mistake. It is an easy formula that should be followed to find out different spelling errors compared to reviewing the first time around when the mistake is made. You can visit spellquiz.com to train your kid for vocabulary and spelling, and they can quickly revise here
- Teach them to spell words loudly: Parents or teachers should always spell the words out loudly, as children also become customary to speak words loudly. When kids say out loud, it assists them in grasping the correct orders of the words. On the other hand, this technique is also helpful for children who struggle with learning complexity and helps them prepare for spelling competitions.
- Disarrange the letters: Try this twisting game on paper. Write each letter of the word ‘Monday’ on a piece of paper and cut each letter into a separate piece. Scramble all the letters of a word ‘Monday’ and let the kids move the letters around until the spelling is correct.
- Imprinting in kids’ minds: This is a basic method that every parent should teach their child. First, show your kids a word spelling written on a piece of paper. Then instruct them how to visualize a word in their mind. Now, let them close their eyes and picture the spelling of the words, alphabet by alphabet, in their mind. Command them to speak word spelling loudly and then open their eyes to confirm if they were correct or not.
Conclusion: Follow all the above-given techniques to teach spelling, help your children become bright students, and increase interest in spelling and vocabulary. If your child is facing any vocabulary or spell grammar issue, speak to their school teacher. Let your child be creative and do different things by cutting letters from magazines and making a ransom note-style collage of words. As it is teachers’ duty, they are happier to hear how seriously their students take their homework. Also, cooperate with them in writing words in their handwriting if they struggle with bad writing. Try spending time with your kids and let them develop their communication skills.