For many residents of Philadelphia, cab services like Uber are incredibly beneficial. There are many situations in which people open their Uber apps and have a ride ready with a simple touch of a button. Uber is quick, convenient, and can be a lifesaver if you do not have a working vehicle. It is also a savior when you have had too much to drink or are visiting the city and do not want to rent a car.
Along with being an easy way to hail a ride, Uber also claims to be a huge help with transit for people living in poor communities. It has also played a significant role in reducing drunk driving, a claim some data supports. They have also been criticized for hurting public transit ridership, worsening street congestion, and creating a class of semi-professional drivers who work, sometimes full-time, with few benefits and uncertainty about how much money they will make for a day’s labor.
According to Danielle Filson, a spokesperson for Uber, “It’s pretty clear that we’re filling an important transportation need in Philadelphia.” There is no denial about this. However, Uber rides can be risky for many reasons, resulting in crashes and injuries. The victims of such accidents can claim compensation. The Uber accident claim process in Philadelphia is very complex and will require the expertise of a lawyer.
The latest Uber accident statistics are alarming, and everyone should know them.
Some scary statistics related to Uber accidents in Philadelphia
Cab services like Uber have surely enjoyed explosive expansion in Philadelphia. It has become a global community with 700 million users. According to a recent statistical report released by the Philadelphia Parking Authority, trips starting in the city have increased by 13 million in the last two years.
Uber has become a go-to choice for many people as one of the most popular ride-hailing services. Industry analysts say this growth reveals a deep demand for convenient and plentiful car-hire services. However, there are some experts who express concern about the congestion caused by the service and the pressure that driving for a ride-share app puts on drivers.
Though a single accident is unfortunate, it is vastly better than what could happen in an Uber accident. Over that short time, the company has skyrocketed in popularity. But how safe is it? Before you hop into that Uber, it is necessary to know the latest Uber accident statistics and what could lay ahead for you.
- According to many reports, there are about 35 million rides that take place on average every year in Philadelphia. Many of them had Uber-related incidents. This indicates there are fair chances that many reported accidents may have involved an Uber driver.
- According to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Philadelphia had the highest number of traffic fatalities when compared to other cities in the country.
- The latest statistics show that there were nearly 5,000 accidents involving Uber vehicles in the United States.
- Philadelphia had the second-highest number of reported accidents. Alleghany County was first.
- More than 11,000 total Uber-related incidents were reported in Philadelphia.
- The injury crashes reported involve more than 7,000 Uber-related incidents.
- The fatal crashes reported involving Uber-related accidents have an average of 90 or above.
- As per the national record, fatalities involving Uber-related accidents are more than 1.1 per 100 million.
Given the recent string of accidents, it is clear that Uber needs to do more to protect its passengers and the general public. One way to do this would be to increase its insurance coverage. Another would be to train its drivers better on how to operate their vehicles safely.
What does this mean for Uber passengers? First, it’s essential to know that accidents happen. But it is also important to know that Uber accident lawyers are working to protect the rights of the victims.