Colouring your hair is a great way to enhance or change your look. However, if not done properly, it can lead to some undesirable results. With this in mind, here are some of the most common hair colouring mistakes to avoid in order to ensure beautiful and consistent results:
- Not Doing A Patch Test: Before colouring your hair, it is important to do a patch test to ensure that your scalp does not have a reaction to the hair colour product. This should be done at least 48 hours before you plan on colouring your hair, and can help prevent any unwanted reactions or allergy symptoms.
- Not Reading Directions: Always read the directions carefully and follow them exactly when colouring your hair. Different products have different application times, so it is important to know what you are using and the necessary steps for a successful hair dye job.
- Choosing the Wrong Colour: Make sure to choose the right shade of colour for your skin tone and hair type. If you are unsure, consult with a professional in the salon to help you find the best colour for your look.
- Not Pre-Lightening Your Hair: If you want to make a dramatic change in colour, it is important to pre-lighten your hair before applying the new colour; this will ensure that the desired shade comes out true and even when applying the dye.
- Applying Too Much Product: Over-applying the product can lead to patchy colour and an uneven finish. It is important to use just enough product so that your hair is completely saturated with the dye, but not over-saturated.
- Not Allowing Enough Time for Processing: Depending on what shade you are using, it can take up to 45 minutes for the colour to fully develop. If you don’t allow enough time, your hair won’t reach its full potential in terms of colour vibrance and saturation.
- Not Taking Care of Your Coloured Hair: After colouring your hair, it is important to use products specifically designed for coloured hair. This will help keep your colour looking vibrant and healthy, while also nourishing it with the necessary ingredients to stay strong and healthy. Furthermore, make sure to use a heat protectant every time you are using hot styling tools on your hair. By taking these simple steps after colouring, you can ensure that your colour lasts longer and looks even better.
- Not Asking Questions: If visiting an expert (which is recommended if you lack experience!), making sure that you are comfortable and understand exactly what the stylist is going to do with your hair is essential. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and tell them if there is something you do not want done, no matter how minor it may seem. Also, asking questions can help you to avoid any future problems, as the stylist can give you tips and advice on how to care for your hair afterwards.
If you’re nervous, get your haircut in Preston by an expert rather than risking anything yourself. By avoiding these mistakes and asking for help from a professional, you can ensure that you get a beautiful colour every time!