Every year, at least 10,000 truck drivers are involved in accidents on Manhattan’s congested and twisting roads. Many of these accidents end with the trucker facing a hefty fine and sometimes even jail time. If you’re a truck driver living or driving in Manhattan, it is important to know the rules and regulations placed by the city for truckers. Truckers must pay close attention and follow all of these guidelines to avoid getting fined or even jailed.
The number of truck accidents in Manhattan is steadily climbing, and the trend doesn’t seem to be slowing. In particular, there has been a marked increase in pedestrian collisions because trucks are traveling through crowded city streets at higher rates than ever. Drivers must pay close attention to safety as they go about their daily business. Moreover, if you are a commuter involved in a truck accident in Manhattan, the better you should go to a Manhattan, KS Truck Accident Attorney to discuss the scope of compensation.
General Road Rules in Manhattan
Here are some essential road rules truck drivers commuting through Manhattan should essentially know.
- While there is no statewide ban on smartphone use while driving, Manhattan has a complete restriction for texting and all cell phone usage during driving. This is because studies show that distracted driving accounts for almost 23%of fatalities in road accidents.
- When the windshield wipers are operating, all drivers must have their headlights on.
- When it is snowing, raining, or foggy to where visibility and traction are low at the same time, truck drivers need an extreme amount of caution.
- In Manhattan, KS, it is illegal for a vehicle that weighs over 10,000 pounds to exceed the speed limit by more than 7 miles per hour.
- In Manhattan, KS, laws penalize the use of solid rubber or cushion tires on city streets.
- The city also forbids pedestrians from crossing intersections diagonally.
Truck drivers are expected to follow all rules of the road, not just federal ones. With so many more people, bikes, and pedestrians in the city, it’s important for truckers to be aware of their surroundings and obey all traffic laws. It’s only natural that every vehicle will have an impact on an already-busy city.
The truckers who stray from safety rules and regulations cause traffic jams and safety hazards to those vehicles and pedestrians who share the road. Truck drivers need to make sure to comply with all speed limits and stop signs if they want to avoid a clash with an obstinate Manhattan driver.